Saturday, July 7, 2012

Another Attempt

So apparently it's been a year since I started this thing. Well I finally watched Julie and Julia the other day also a year after having downloaded it and decided to try and start posting on here again. I was lying in bed earlier and thought to myself "My mom has all these Swedish cookbooks and she won't be around forever. I have to start this soon!"

So I called my mom and told her about it. My first idea was to have her translate them all but that is a LOT of work, so my mom said "when I came to Canada (Montreal) I had to learn to cook from French cookbooks so you can learn enough Swedish to cook from Swedish cook books." I said sure, it can't be that hard with a Swedish-English dictionary and my mom only a phone call away to help if need be.

Vår Kokbok is my mom's favourite Swedish cookbook. She'll lend it to me on Monday so I can get started after then. I'm going to try and make a weekly menu with two Swedish dishes per week and one each of Filipino and French Canadian dishes and see how well I can keep up with that and revise it as need be. For the French Canadian dishes it would be cool to have accompanying posts about restaurant reviews of those dishes, but that will take a while seeing as our budget won't permit me to eat out as often as I'd like.

Like I told my sister, I definitely don't expect (or want) to get a book or a movie deal out of this like with Julie and Julia, or even any recognition, if I do it will be an unexpected side-effect, because I'm making this for my own reference, for my future kids reference, and for the enjoyment of whoever would like to view this online.

Here's a pic of me and my mor (mother in Swedish) from 2009, which I might update later:


I might post my menu later once I've made it. Varsogood!

No comments:

Post a Comment