Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Longanisa v1.0

My first attempts at both regular longanisa and sweet longanisa turned out like this:


They were very delicious but I used pork belly rather than pork butt and cheek fat cause I couldn't find any close by so they turned out a bit more dry and grainy than I wanted.  I've ordered 3 pork cheeks from Porcmeilleur at the Jean-Talon market and reserved them for next Friday though so I can get it right next time. I can't wait to try making these again! They weren't even comparable to the store bought ones, they're so much better. I only made about 6lbs of sausage last time and they ran out in a week so I'll make twice or three times that next time so I'll have some left over to freeze and give away to friends and family.

I forgot to take pics of the making process and the cooked sausage but I will next time. I even went to a tiny Filipino corner store half an hour away just to get the right vinegar for this! I wanted them to be the best possible, and they were, so I can't imagine how good they'll be once I use those pork cheeks. I'm going to visit my parents an hour away this weekend though so I'll make them next weekend instead.

One thing I noticed is that they tend to give off a lot of juice that collects in the bottom of the container after you've made them, especially the regular ones with more vinegar, so to remedy that I left them in the container in the fridge uncovered for a day or two to dry while repeatedly emptying the container of the juice that collected in the bottom.

I'll have to try frying up some loose sausage meat from these recipes too sometime, cause in my experience it's even yummier cause each little piece gets browned and it's overall more browned and crispy and delicious! Maillard reaction FTW!

And maybe even a sausage meat hamburger, or a patty made with 50/50 beef and sausage meat, or...

Next week I'll hopefully be making kroppkakor and smörgåstårta.

2 comments:

  1. These look SO good! What is the vinegar? I just discovered white balsamic. Oh my. I love vinegars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe they were! :) It's Sukang Iloco vinegar, a Filipino vinegar you can probably find in some Asian grocery stores. You can read more about it in the link for the regular longanisa at the top of the post :)

    ReplyDelete